Hurtling down the vortex of life

Posted by Wah Hoo | 9:22 PM | 0 comments »

Ah, I suddenly feel the urge to to do a review on my life. Like what people do when they reach the middle years of their life.

I'm going to be 30 this coming August.

Ok, 30 might be too young to be considered 'middle years'. I intend to live until 130. According to the Ayurveda life preservation technique I've learned, 130 is the minimum I'm aiming for.

But 30 to 50 years old is supposedly the golden years, where you start to get a taste of achievements in life, as you've accumulated some experiences and started building up your career and/or family. Then, there is the possibility of this stage being a period of crisis, as you relook your life and find out: "Shit, I'm not supposed to be doing this, but I'm stuck here!", thereby creating what would normally be known as a mid-life crisis.

But I'm far from having a mid-life crisis period. At 30, I'm too young to have a mid-life crisis. I think. That's why this is the perfect time to look at my life and make decisions as not to have one in the near future.

At 30, I feel young and old at the same time. It's a strange age to be in. It's like reaching a crossroad in life. Where you're force to make decisions that would chart the course of your life, changing it forever. The consequences of a decision at this stage seems so much more, should I say, far-reaching and heavy, but at the same time exciting, when you put your imagination on the things to come.

But I also believe you should not take life too seriously. A life not enjoyable is a life not worth living. Period. Therein lies my interest in humour and comedy. To sidestep on the topic a little, humour is an imperative prerequisite to creativity, problem solving and emotional management. The most successful people I've met in life has uncanny abilities for generating and recognizing humour and using it to uplift the emotions of people around them. We refer to them as having charisma.

At 30, life seems to have just whizzed by.

I'm thankful for the experiences life has thrown to me, all the love exchanged and shared with family members, friends I've acquainted with along the way, mistakes I've had the privilege to grow upon. Life tasted sweet at times, sour at times and bitter at particular appropriate moments. Which is all good.

Work is stressful at the moment. But I'm reminded again of a great truth by a colleague today. That crisis reveals character, thereby provides an opportunity for growth.

Favourite quote at the moment: 'If you can't, then you must'. The philosophy of 'stretch'.

Here aresome things I'd like to do before I die:

1) Give a talk to an audience of at least 500 people.
2) Write a best-selling book.
3) Sleep with a supermodel.
4) Learn to fly a plane or helicopter.
5) ******
6) ******
7) and so on and so forth...


Don't ask. Life is a work in progress.

0 comments